Saturday, September 27, 2008

Outbreak! Eeekk!

On the Knot, the Central Florida Board does siggy challenges weekly that I like to participate in for fun. The last challenge was about your wedding nightmare. I chose my nightmare as a trip and fall down the aisle. When it came time to vote for the best siggy, I voted for Vanessa, whose nightmare was a cold sore outbreak. How ironic? I am officially changing my nightmare from tripping and falling to having a hive outbreak, hands down.

I had to leave work early yesterday because I had an attack of the hives....again. What's funny is I had just left the allergists office earlier today, having my first consultation with yet another professional. I got to work that afternoon and after two hours in my shift, I began to itch uncontrollably. I couldn't stop scratching. I thought I was going to scratch my skin off because I kept scratching the same spots, over and over. Finally after about 30 minutes and 2 unsuccessful attempts at going back on the road, I called my Lieutenant and told him I had to go home. Before I left I took 2 Benadryls and prayed I'd get home before they knocked me out.

I scratched all the way home but I made it safely. I took a shower and then applied some anti-itch lotion I purchased from one of the many doctors I had seen in the past. The itching subsided for awhile, but I still took my 2nd dose of Benadryl before going to bed.

I woke up this morning not itching and ready to go to work later. My body had other plans; around 1pm I started itching. I hightailed it to CVS and purchased some more Benadryl. I also called the emergency number for my allergist and I even contemplated going to the ER. I know the hospital would only give me an IV of Benadryl, which would work, but again it's a temporary fix. The Dr. got back to me and told me take the Zyrtec on top of the Clarinex I had taken this morning. Also, I could take the Benadryl if needed. He mentioned a steroid, Prednisone, which I had taken before and had no interest in taking today. That would be a last resort. Seriously. So I called my Lieutenant and told him I wouldn't be making it in today. I hate to call out but this mysterious itching/hives mess drives me nuts and I would be no good at work.

So, I'm home for the day, popping antihistamines right and left. Hopefully, the blood work I did on Friday will give us some answers. I doubt it, been there done that, but I can at least hope right?

No comments: