Sunday, September 14, 2008

Don't take it personal

I arrived in North Carolina early Friday morning Sep 12, after driving all night and working 8 hours. Around 12 noon, I decided to call my MOH to see how she was doing and if I could come and see her. The first woman that answered the phone asked my name, which they never did before, and then put me on hold. After a few minutes another lady comes on the line, asks me my name, then says Mai isn't taking any calls. I quickly asked her to tell Mai who was on the phone and that I was in town and wanting to come see her. After all, Mai would LOVE to see me, right? The lady returns to the phone after a few minutes only to tell me I should try back later. What? Fine. I hang up. Confused, I don't know what to feel.

The next visiting hours are after 5pm so after I take a quick nap I call back at exactly 5pm. After two transfers I'm told Mai isn't taking any calls. Okay. Again, I hang up, confused. Angry. Not at Mai, but at the situation. It stinks.

I decide to call Mai's sister, Jo, so I can let her know about this latest convo, or lack of it. Jo assures me what I came to realize prior to calling her: Don't take it personal, she loves and would love to see you. It's them (the hospital staff) that insist she doesn't want to be bothered. I feel in my heart that this may not be the case, but I decide I am marching straight up to the hospital before I head hundreds of miles home. Empty and without a visit.

No comments: