Friday, October 31, 2008

Can it get any worse???

Yesterday I get a call from Mike about 4:45 that his father fell in the house, is lying in a pool of blood, and can't get up. Mike calls the police and a good friend of ours to meet them there to kick in the back door if they can't get in. Luckily, the police were able to gain entry.

I went to work, basically to show my face, but I knew I was out of there when the traffic died down a little bit. My mind kept racing thinking about the worse; Mike's mom fell and hit her head, wound up in the hospital, then 2 months later we were planning a funeral. I tried to be upbeat and keep Mike from losing it as he headed home, naturally worried.
He called me a little later and let me know the ambulance was on their way to the hospital with him. I told my Lt. I was leaving and ironically he had to leave too; his mom fell and he had to tend to her. It really wasn't a good night all around.

I get to the hospital and see Pop lying on the board with a neck brace and his head taped down so he doesn't move around too much. At that point, they weren't sure what he had broken, if anything, so they wanted to keep him stable. He was uncomfortable, of course, but talking to me. I could see the gash across his right eyebrow, the point of impact with the coffee table in our family room. He also had a cut on his nose and the entire right side of his face was noticeably swollen. He was waiting for them to take him for x-rays, and growing impatient. I asked him what happened, and he told me he was sitting too close to the TV because he felt his pacemaker jumping, as he described it, so he tried to get up to move and blacked out. Next thing he knows, he's lying on the floor, next to the coffee table in a pool of blood and he can't get up. Luckily, he had his cell phone on his belt and was able to get to it to call Mike.

In the end, we found out he broke his nose in two places and required stitches to close up the two lacerations. The hospital is keeping him a few days for observation. Today the Doc said he may have a concussion. It could've been worse: so many what ifs play in my head, even now. What if he didn't have his cell phone on him? Mike wouldn't have found him until he got home from work, which might've been 2 hours later from when he called Mike. What if Mike would've gone to the gym after work, as he does at times? Well, it would've been later that Mike found him, and maybe too late at that time. I don't even leave work until 1 am so me finding him was definitely out of the question.

I don't know why we are being tested right now. It seems there's always something. Losing his father only 5 months after his Mom would've probably sent Mike over the age, and I can understand why. I hope we can go these next 3 1/2 months without any more issues. Lord, just let us make it to the wedding with everyone we have with us now.

I'm actually going to look into those medical alert things that he can wear on his wrist or around his neck, just in case. And poor Leo, Pops said all he could do was sit there and look at him. Even walked around the blood. Leo is not one of those dogs that calls 911, not happening. But, he did sit there with help until help arrived, so he wasn't totally alone.

No comments: