Monday, October 6, 2008

Finished aisle runner!

Whew! My aisle runner is done and I am happy with the results. I got instructions from knottie heatherjk on her blog at http://roadtotheaisle.blogspot.com/2007/07/diy-aisle-runner.html
The only thing I did different, which was minor, was use a regular pencil instead of a mechanical pencil mentioned in the link above, thanks to knottie kim&josh. Here's my version of the diy aisle runner. I bought the paint and an assortment of brushes from Michaels, using coupons of course to save some cash. I purchased an ivory french lace aisle runner off eBay for $13.95. It is so beautiful I was tempted to leave it as is:


I took my monogram to Kinkos as a jpeg and had them blow it up to 36 x 36. I then traced the monogram on the aisle runner. First tape the blown up version down then the aisle runner on top of it like this:

I'm tracing away...Finally, it's ready to be painted. This is probably really light, so you can't see it traced on the aisle runner. You can see the blown up version off to the right of it. Pops took this photo for me. He's so helpful!


The next day, I started painting the trees first using the pink color. Make sure you tape wax paper down first, then tape the aisle runner over the wax paper, Mike made himself useful and took these pics for me:



I was rusty at first, but after awhile I got the hang of it. Here's one finished tree:


The trees were a PITA! I decided for the next one it was easier to trace the outline first and then paint it:


I did a total of two coats of acrylic paint on the trees. The finished trees:


Yesterday, I finished the aisle runner using the brown paint on our names and dates. The finished product:


I love how it turned out and it will be a beautiful decoration for the ceremony. I forgot to mention that Mike suggested the monogram be in the middle so I measured it out and put the monogram approximately between 23 and 27 feet. The aisle runner is 50 feet.

No comments: