Monday, October 13, 2008

Map and Directions card completed!

So, this is the list of what I have to do left:
  • fan programs
  • sand ceremony frame trial
  • photo sharing cards
  • menu cards
  • table numbers
  • cocktail menu (signature drinks and spirits)
  • RSVP cards
  • map and directions cards
  • fish net for card box


I'm quite sure there's more; I'll just add it as a I remember it. For now I can scratch off the Map and Directions cards. I haven't ordered them yet because I will probably wait until I complete the RSVP cards since they will both be mailed with the invitations. Hopefully, I'll get the invites soon. That's a story for another day. So here's the DIY map and directions cards (1st draft):




This is the front:



This is the back:






I'm going to use free postcards from VistaPrint to make them. I like how they turned out but I wonder if the palm tree is too much. I'll get some opinions and go from there. Simple but fun and they tie in with my save the dates and the overall beach theme of the wedding.

This was fairly easy to do following the instructions that is. There are several resources that can help you too. On TheKnot, you can use the Map Bio. You can also use Wedding Mapper. After you customize your map on wedding mapper, they can show you how to create one for your guests. I actually used the directions from knottie themarshmalo. She created a blog entitled "The super fabulous guide to creating super fabulous pocketfolds". Not only did I use her blog for my STD pocketfolds, but I learned how to create my map here also.


*****************UPDATE*******************


After having the knotties review my work, there were a few things pointed out that I updated on the final map and direction cards. Here's the new version:


I lightened up the lake, took out a "Lake Bryan" and took the US off after the Orlando zip code. I also made the street names all the same size and closer to the streets. I also realized that the font was Arial, which hasn't been used in any of my stationary thus far. So being anal as usual, I changed the fonts of the street names to Georgia to match everything else.

On the directions portion, I made sure Rd and other abbreviations ended with a period (.) I shortened one sentence under the Holiday Inn directions because Kim made a valid point; Vistaprint will cut off anything outside the dotted lines, which draw the line as to how far the printing will go. Another important point was brought up by another Paradise Cove bride about the directions I have listed from the North: you can't actually make a left turn onto Lake Bryan Dr. without making a U-turn. I don't know how I forgot that because coming from Kissimmee we had to do the same thing. So I added the U-turn info as well.

Now, I am happy with them. Oh, someone else mentioned not using the heart bullets; I thought about it, but I used them on my STDs so I might as well carry out the same design, to a certain extent. I don't want to use numbers or dots, so hearts it is!

No comments: